Pinning on new flanges

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:52:24 -0400

Hi Don,

> Have you seen any of the high speed photography of hammers striking the
> string? It's a real "eye opener". I do know that someone on the list has
> digitized them. I'd *love* to have a copy.

No, I haven't.  I'd love to see them!

> Think about zero friction as you would a skater on ice. If there were zero
> friction the person would not be able to move at all. Some friction is
> necessary for good response.

With all due respect, that's not how ice scating works.  There's a big
difference between lateral friction (with the blade scaping sideways to the
ice) and forward friction (with the scate moving forward).  Lateral pressure
is used to generate the force needed to move or stop the skater.  Well,
there's also the toe spur thingie, which ice hockey scates don't have.

> What is still at question is "how much" and
> "where" it should be.

Taking a stab at a generalization:  Friction is always very, very good
between any parts that aren't supposed to slide against each other -- e.g.
the the fingers and keys, the pianist and piano bench, the piano bench and
floor.  Friction is generally bad between parts that are supposed to move
against each other.  Exceptions are sliding parts that are designed to
maintain or create some sort of force or tension, such as the brakes on a
car.

Peace,
Sarah