How much friction? (was friction.... yet another attempt)

Ryan Sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:45:57 -0700 (PDT)

antares <antares@euronet.nl> wrote
Your mentioning the rep springs and the lacquered hammers have nothing
to do with it. Light is light, either in weight or because of low
friction.

Andre,

I have to entirely disagree on this point in particular, for 2 reasons:

1. It sounds like you are saying that increased down weight that results from increased friction is the same as increasing the down weight by manipulating the weight of action parts. Lowering friction will increase the up weight of the key, while decreasing the down weight at the sometime. Adding friction does the opposite.

Adding lead to the front of the key will will decrease the down weight and decrease the up weight. A very different effect on the touch of the piano to be sure. You can have actions with equal down weight that feel very different.

Don't forget that inertia plays an important role in the players perception of the touch. Ed McMorrow's (author of "the Educated Piano") pianos are a perfect example. People perceive his actions as light but he gets his down weight toward 60 grams (if I'm remembering properly). The lower inertia he achieves by drastically removing hammer mass (and also key leads)  produces the sensation of a light touch despite a 60gram down weight. Interestingly Ed also recommended (in his book) pinning the hammers a little on the tight side (which goes back to our previous subject on pinning)!

2. Lacquered hammers have plenty to do with it! There is a strong connection between voicing and touch perception. A player will many times perceive an action with soft hammers that require greater velocity to gain fortissimo tone as heavier than an action with hard, less resilient hammers. I've had clients be amazed at how I changed the touch of their piano by only working with the hammers.

:

Ryan Sowers, RPT  Puget Sound Chapter
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA