vertical backcover: Gortex??

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:23:57 -0700

Grill cloth is used primarily for cosmetic purposes. I tell my customers to
go to the local fabric shop and buy a piece of felt to cover the back of
their verical pianos. Another option is foam; medum density and about 1"
thick. place it behind the piano and push piano up against it. Very little
if any effect on volume, (i have 4" thick foam between posts of my U1 with
no noticeable reduction of vlolume) but like the felt it sets up a barrier
to help protect the soundboard from direct effects of drafts and RH swings.
Especially helpful in conjuntion with D.C. systems as it improves efficiency
of the D.C.

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: Ryan Sowers <pianorye@yahoo.com>
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: vertical backcover: Gortex?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 19:53:34 -0700 (PDT)

I was at a garage sale earlier today and found a large piece of Gortex
fabric that a woman had planned on using to make some rain gear for her
kids, but never got around to it!

It was only $5 and is enough to cover the back of 2 vertical pianos.

I've been checking on the web and there are places you can buy Gortex
for $17 a yard: http://www.rockywoods.com/breathables_main.htm
There are other lightweight waterproof breathables that sell for less.

Wouldn't a lightweight waterproof breathable fabric make the best back
cover? Or is this overkill? It seems like it would work better than the
"grill cloth" that Dampp-chaser sells.

Ryan Sowers, RPT  Puget Sound Chapter
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA