friction and dynamics (was repinning)

Sun, 29 Aug 2004 19:51:04 +0100

Ryan Sowers wrote:

> I don't buy it Richard, because as a player I don't have time once I
> begin playing a note to think about sensitivity. What produces a
> certain velocity in my fingers is the mental *intension* I have the
> microsecond <G> before I play the note.

Of course you dont have the time to think about it. You just do what you
do.  That's pretty much the same thing no matter what touch related
issue we can discuss.  But that lack of direct conciousness related to
playing doesnt lessen our ability to sense things or have to deal (just
as instinctively) to what we are confronted with.  So the effect
remains.  Course if this all appeals to you... then it does and thats
thats.  My arguementation simply goes to the point that the majority of
pianists seem to prefer a bit more friction the you evidently do, and to
attempting to explain (partially) why.

Cheers
RicB*//*