vertical backcover: Gortex?

Ryan Sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:18:53 -0700 (PDT)

My thinking was that gortex would more effectively inhibit air flow then grill cloth, while still allowing moisture to escape.

It's interesting that DC first recommended mylar then switched to grill. These are two very different types of materials. They must have decided that breathablity was an issue. I thought maybe Gortex or some similar microporous material might be the best of both worlds.

Apparantly DC has done a lot of R & D over the years. I would be interested to see all the documentation on what tests they ran and what all the results were.

Don <pianotuna@accesscomm.ca> wrote:
Hi Ryan,

Something vapour proof works best for back covers on uprights. Goretex
would be the worst possible choice as it is vapor transparent.

At 07:53 PM 28/08/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>I was at a garage sale earlier today and found a large piece of Gortex
>fabric that a woman had planned on using to make some rain gear for her
>kids, but never got around to it!
>
>It was only $5 and is enough to cover the back of 2 vertical pianos.
>
>I've been checking on the web and there are places you can buy Gortex
>for $17 a yard: http://www.rockywoods.com/breathables_main.htm waterproof
>breathables that sell for less.
>
>Wouldn't a lightweight waterproof breathable fabric make the best back
>cover? Or is this overkill? It seems like it would work better than the
>"grill cloth" that Dampp-chaser sells.
>

>Ryan Sowers, RPT Puget Sound Chapter
>Pianova Piano Service
>Olympia, WA Do you Yahoo!?