Low friction actions

Sun, 29 Aug 2004 22:39:01 +0100

gordon stelter wrote:

>Which raises the question: Are low friction actions
>"bad", or just something most pianists are not used
>to, but could adjust to with benefit to their overall
>playing, with a little practice ?
>     Thump

An interesting question which I think is the main thrust of both Ryan
and Sarahs rationelle.  Personally, I think history has made its
judgement on the matter as the fly away action has in fact been
available all along.  The primary reaction by pianists against it goes
along the lines outlined by those of us describing the breaking
characteristic that friction has, and I believe also because the
lessened stability of the hammer travel with insuing reduction in
predictability of  tone this will result in compound the pianists
sensation of loss of controll.  Most pianists will react negatively...
or at least historically have done so.  That there are exceptions to any
rule should suprise no one.

Cheers
RicB