teflon powder in flange bushings

Ryan Sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:26:16 -0700 (PDT)

Richard, Maybe you already described this, but what is your method of getting the teflon powder into the bushings?

Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no> wrote:Dave Nereson wrote:

>............. What happens to the center pin hole when it gets humid?
>My little un-scientific experiment suggests "not much", as does Yamaha's
>position. Are they saying that when humid, the flange gets bigger, but it
>expands in all directions, thus shrinking the hole a little, counteracting
>the expansion? And vice versa?
> Should we pin flanges tighter when it's humid and looser when it's dry,
>or doesn't it matter?
> --David Nereson, RPT

Well.. if Yamaha has it right, then its about the same whether you repin
in this, that, or the other climatic condition. Myself... I've always
pinned at 5-7 swings no mater what the situation is. If the bushing
cloth is reasonably clean and free from diverse chemical additives....
then this has always performed well. The addition of Teflon powder
pretty much insures a stable, firm bushing with optimal friction.

Cheers
RicB

Ryan Sowers, RPT  Puget Sound Chapter
Pianova Piano Service