Pinning on new flanges

Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:03:38 +0100

Sarah Fox wrote:

> So the point becomes one of where the switch-over occurs between
> "curling" and "baseball" modes of piano play.  That's really a matter
> of how fast one's reflexes are, and how fast the person can *think*
> about every nuance of key movement, in order to control it.  I submit
> that there are very few situations that are fine-controllable in the
> way you have described.

I must respectfully dissagree... entirely.  Some significant degree of
these kind of control functions is at the very heart of  how fine
pianists learn to play. You seem to be mixing up modes of <<thinking>>
again.  Pianists learn to do these things without <<thinking>> but they
go through a process of learning techniques where they in the interim do
a lot of thinking about what they are doing. This is the same in any
skill or disciplin.  You rationally learn to approach the intuitive...
if I may put it that way.  None of this means these control mechanisms
are any less valid.  Indeed... the lack of such << fine controlling>> on
the part of the pianist reduces the whole exercise of playing to simple
note reading.  no no no... wayyyyy to much of what pianists tell piano
technicians goes in the opposite direction you are going here Sarah.

> So I don't disagree with you in principle, only in practice.  I submit
> that the "phenomenal control" to which you refer is actually quite
> garden-variety and, further, that the low friction actions that you
> say may benefit those with "phenomenal control" would benefit most
> pianists.  Finally, I repeat that we've never given these piano
> characteristics a fair try.   Ric, you say that fly-away actions have
> been available for a long time, but how long have we had fly-away
> actions with rock-solid rigidity?  Now that's another question entirely...

There still is no such thing as a fly away action with rock solid
rigitidy...grin... where do you get this stuff ??  We cant just make up
things as we go along to fit some desirec outcome of a discusion. Nor is
it particularilly scientific to simply make claims about what percentage
of play fits this or that criteria or description without any more then
an opinion picked out of an already biased cubic meter of air....
especially when said claims actually fly in the face of the vast
majority of the already assembled data on the subject matter.  No matter
how interesting some of these reasonings are... they dont become facts
on the basis of that <<interestingness>> alone.  If they are to become
seen as facts.. you simply are going to have to show them as such.

Untill that time, I think you will find most technicians will continue
to view this friction subject as they do now.  Friction is, in the
quantities so very very many have alluded to, a desirable element that
affords the pianist a significant degree of controll.  Thats probably
why pianists by and large prefer an instrument set up this way.

We circling and circling here however, and it seems like we are not
really getting further on in this discussion.  The discussion has shown
about the same percentages of opinions lining up on both sides of this
question as it has for the last hundred or so years.... and I think that
really in the end is the real determinant, as it reflects the
preferences of a huge statistical majority.

Cheers
RicB