the A floats

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:36:22

Hi,

Temperature wins out in the short term particularly the intense heat from
stage lights. This can be ameliorated to some extent by "pre heating" the
piano before it is tuned. It does require several hours for the piano to
reach "steady state". If all the performance lights are on to do this the
electricity costs far exceed the tuning costs.

Air conditioning in halls in temperate climates in the winter time is often
done using "outside" air. Humidity can drop 30% in 15 minutes. It behooves
the piano technician to find out "when" the air dampers will be opened and
finish tuning before that event occurs.

I fought unsuccessfully for many years to have humidity control on the
concert pianos I looked after. It cost the hall thousands of extra dollars
in tuning fees.