Big Hammers

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:55:09 -0700

Now isn't that interesting...we talked about the bottom lid many=
 years ago on the List and it's nice someone actually made one. =
 Anyone else?
Marcel, can you determine if sustain seemed to improve with=
 bottom lid.   I remember commenting about rolling a wedge-shaped=
 reflector under the piano...maybe made of plastic?   I wonder if=
 the bottom board doesn't restrict sound when it's closed or is=
 it always down?  Fascinating!

David I.

From: Marcel Carey <mcpiano@videotron.ca>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: RE: Big Hammers

Barbara.

Have you thought about a bottom lid for this piano. I've=
 installed one in a difficult hall and had great result. You only=
 need sound reflective material that is installed below the piano=
 with an angle about the same as the top lid. It can be tried=
 easily. We had listeners with eyes closed and a technician=
 removing and installing the bottom lid, and all were unanimous=
 about the sound outpout increase in the hall.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC