Pinning on new flanges

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 01:26:24 -0400

Hi Vladan,

I think your options 1 - 3 pretty much describe it.  I'm an Option 3 (combo
mode), playing mostly in Option 1 mode.  Adaptation time to a strange piano
is a few notes long -- a few measures if the piano is really screwy.
Warm-up time dramatically reduces the required adaptation time.  I would
only add that the relevant dimension to your model should be slow/soft vs.
rapid/loud.  Slow/loud involves a very rapid keystroke.  Rapid/soft involves
"playing the tops of the keys."  Either way, the duration of the keystroke
is very short.  Only slow/soft involves a slow keystroke.

Your mathematical model:  Do I understand correctly that the force on the
key is the same between the red and blue curves?  If so, the acceleration
will not be the same, and the terminal velocity of the hammer will be less
with the higher-friction system.  I think you must have found that, because
you say you normalized the curves for comparison of response time.  But yes,
it would take longer (and more key dip and hammer travel) for the same force
to accelerate the hammer to the same velocity.

Of course if you're a pianist and want to play a note at a given amplitude,
you would apply whatever force is necessary to achieve that amplitude.  That
force would be higher if there's more friction to fight.  In fact it would
be higher by exactly the additional frictional force that must be overcome.
The resultant force that accelerates the system would be the downward key
pressure, minus the frictional force, as measured at the key.  It is that
resultant force that would have to be equalized between the two systems to
achieve the same terminal hammer velocity and note amplitude.  If these
resultant forces are the same between the lower and higher friction systems
playing the same amplitude of note, then the rates of hammer acceleration
and key stroke will also be the same.

IMO, all friction buys you is... friction.  If I may apply a new term here,
it increases the required "bias force" on the system, this being the force
needed to move the action.  On a plot of terminal hammer velocity, vs.
applied downwards key force, it offsets the curve along the y axis.  My own
(admittedly atypical) feeling about this bias force is that it doesn't
really do anything useful for me during slow, soft play, when I use muscle
tone to regulate finger/wrist/arm velocity anyway.  However, during rapid,
hard play, it's a bit like running in the sand (with greater exertion and
slower key return).  I can run much faster on pavement!  ;-)  Perhaps I'm
different from high-performance concert pianists, in that I don't have their
stamina or arm weight.  My fingers are also relatively short, so perhaps
they're not prone to the same jumps and jerks.  (Of course I'd LOVE to have
longer fingers.)  Dunno...

I think the difference may be that I don't have a lot of upper end on my
own, personal power curve, and I have pretty good control over the lower end
of my curve.  Other pianists may have little control over the lower end but
may max out at a much higher end.  Perhaps differences in friction is one of
the ways we seek out the dynamic range that we find most comfortable.  Other
differences would be SWR and SW and DW.  I think it's a Goldilocks sort of
thing.  There are no "wrong" beds -- only beds that are too hard, too soft,
and just right.

Peace,
Sarah

PS My reaction time, college years, of 65 msec:  Hmmmm...  This seems
awfully fast.  Perhaps I'm remembering my fastest reaction times.  Average
reaction time was surely slower.  Or perhaps I'm suffering from OldTimer's
disease, and my memory is in error.  If reaction times are indeed longer
than this, that would imply still less opportunity for fine control of key
movement.

PPS For lack of time that I should be spending on other things, I'll
probably want to bow out of this discussion now...  ;-)