Pinning on new flanges:a proposed experiment

Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:51:12 +0100

Hi there Sarah.

Sarah Fox wrote:

>Hi Ric,
>
>OK, my friend, STALEMATE!!  STALEMATE!!  ;-)

Grin... moving a few pawns sideways and trying to use a rook diagonaly
is hardly a stalemate my dear :)

>In parting, and I suppose by way of apology to you and/or the list, please
>understand that my comments are from the standpoint of a neurobiologist.  I
>was not trying to diminish what a pianist or a human being is -- or suggest
>for even a moment that a pianist is a biological PianoDisk system!

But you just do... right below... like it or not :)  but no apology
seems needed as far as I can see....

>  I was
>simply trying to explain how these complex sorts of movements are made --
>that indeed there are complex motor programs that our brains execute.  When
>someone throws a ball to you, and you reach your hand out and catch it,
>rather automatically, it's really an honest-to-goddess motor program that is
>responsible, and most of it is done with your cerebellum.  That doesn't mean
>you don't have control!

You know... I understand science folks tend to get offended when you
challange them on their own grounds.. (for reasons that will forever
baffle me)  But really... like it or not you all know precious little
about how things really work inside there... Oh I know you want to think
all this poking around with electrodes has given you deep insights...
but the amount of unknowns and uncertains is so overwhelmingly huge in
comparison.  It kind of limits the degree of conclusions you can make
from what you think you know already.

The motory functions alone, could they indeed be even remotly isolated
from the rest of the human <<system>> (to use terminology you seem
confined too), are  interdependent with so many other <<functions>> to
thee degree as to preclude any such simplistic definition of them as
<<simple biological programs>>.  Not to mention the host of totally
unknowns, unexplained, and all to often just plain written off issues
such as "creativity", "intuition", and whatever other "sixth sense
order"  attributes human kind posess.  You can no more reduce the motory
functions involved in the finger setting the key in motion to a simple
set of biological programs then you can define sentience as a more
complicated one.  But by all means... keep on trying.

>Your cerebellum is really quite good (amazingly
>good) at what it does.  Like it or not, the big blobs of tissue inside our
>skulls are beautiful, highly sophisticated biological computers.

Ah... you reveal yourself at last.  I would submit that that particular
perspective is highly debatable at its very very best.

>Unfortunately I am too quick to forget that people are offended by this
>thought, for reasons that will forever baffle me.

You misunderstand.  I am not offended... quite amuzed is more like it.
You've used all kinds of ploys to try and avoid the obvious conclusion
that simply must be made.  That a reduction of friction reduces ones
ability to control the mechanism.  Sit on the AB-Blaster my dear.

Your argumentation has boiled essentially down to two points.  On the
one hand you try and negate the brakeing affect that friction has in the
first place by trying to show that said control is impossible to begin
with.. due to time constrictions.  You are then forced to refute that
same by asserting that indeed there is control... but only control of
the fingers themselves... which essentially means they dont even
indirectly have any control over the piano itself... essentially the
same arguement  that states the hammer is in free flight as soon as the
jack leaves contact with the knuckle, and the pianist has no more
control over its destiny. You would have it that as soon as the finger
touches the key its all over but the crying.  You will forgive me of
course if  I cannot subscribe to that view :)

When that didnt really play out for you... you then try a kind of
reductionist line..... in this case defining motory functions as mere
programs abundant with simplistic inference. Course if we really could
define any human behaviour at all in this sense... then we could define
is all thus... all behaviour is simply and nothing more then the result
of programming. Of all the people in the world you should be one of the
more keenly aware of the dangers of walking down that road.

>Peace,
>Sarah

Last but not least.. because the subject matter does deal with some
interesting touch concerns.... this matter of inertia taking over
frictions breaking role.  First off... I have to say....wait a minute..
I thought you just stated the whole concept was moot from the get go...
so why and how can this role be taken over by inertia ??!!

But really, I'd like to point out that again... inertia can only go so
far in this effort... and I would submit that again the statistical
history of user preferences has shown just about where those parameters
are.  Somewhere around and very close to Stanwood 3/4 mediums. Remember
David Loves commentary of about a year and a half ago ??? Where do you
think this kind of thing comes from ?  Tradition alone ??? Grin.....

To mention a few of the factors involved... heavier hammers indeed
increase hammer inertia... but they also increase touch weight in
general... friction weight distrubted elsewhere in the action, action
compliance problems, general wear and tear and much more. In addition...
if you use same friction levels for hammer shank centers you will have
to live with just that much more instablity relative to hammer travle.
That same inertia will further stress center pin bushings in any off
path direction.  The point being you cant go very far in replacing
frictions breaking role with inertia in the first place, a role you deny
exists in the second place.... :)

Once again... by all means tastes vary.  But lets not try to use science
to justify preferences as being correct or not.  Rather...lets observe
what the majority of people actually end up deciding feels best and
accept the truth of the matter for what it is. (thanks to Standwood we
actually have a rather huge chunk of real data available on that mark)
Science can help us describe why those decisions are made... but it can
only help in that endeavor.... and only then in so far as we are able to
keep enough of the relavant points in their proper perspectives and
balance any equation back and forth for each and every alteration we
attempt to make.

Cheers
RicB