OT do NOT upgrade win xp to sp2

Hechler Family dahechler@charter.net
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:30:46 -0500

All,

Check out the following excerpt from wired.com - and see if you still
want Windows - Windows Not Expected to be Secure Until 2011, Says MS

These days, every Windows computer is a war zone of viruses, Trojans,
spyware, and other malicious code trying to exploit security holes in
Internet Explorer. One of the scariest of all, Download.Ject, discovered
in late June, worked to log keystrokes (usernames, passwords, PINs). All
this despite Bill Gates' 2002 declaration that security is his top
priority. We asked Stephen Toulouse, Microsoft's security program
manager, if Redmond is fighting a war it can't win.

*WIRED: It's been more than a month since the first news of
Download.Ject, and you still haven't issued a real fix for Internet
Explorer. How long is it going to take?*

*TOULOUSE:* The first step was to block this specific attack. The
malicious software was being delivered from a server in Russia. We
worked with law enforcement to get that shut down. And our product teams
released an update that blocked the downloads that Ject had hacked. It
was not specifically a security update for Internet Explorer. We're
still working on that.

*Meanwhile, Firefox and Opera look awfully appealing.*
Security is really an industry-wide problem. Just this morning I had to
install an update to Firefox to block a flaw that would've allowed an
attacker to run a program on my system. We're working around the clock
to make Internet Explorer safer, and we're making changes with our
Windows XP Service Pack 2 to make browsing a lot more secure.

*What about removing capabilities from IE to beef up security?*
We're always looking at design. There's always that trade-off between
functionality and security, and we've taken some steps recently that
bear that out. For instance, the address bar of Explorer was allowing a
certain type of rendering. People had grown to use that functionality;
they liked it. And then we started to see attackers co-opt it to try to
get software onto the machine, and we reviewed that feature and made the
decision to stop the product from being able to do this.

*Seems like you're fighting a losing battle.*
It's not a switch that can be flipped. Software written by humans will
always contain errors. We're fundamentally changing the way things
operate, to help to make software more resistant to attacks. We're two
and a half years down a much longer road; it's more of a 10-year timeline.

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Organ, Pump Organ