OT do NOT upgrade win xp to sp2

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:02:28 -0400

Hi Conrad,

> I'm getting close to replacing my Win98 machine, so I'm taking all these
> things and pondering them in my heart...

I've thought about migrating to Linux, but I have too many applications I
really NEEED that are Windows only.  Although the Linux folks like to think
they have adequate equivalents for these programs, they don't -- not by a
long shot.  (Yes, I've dabbled in this OS.)  I've also thought of going to a
combined Linux/Windows network environment, keeping Windows FAR, FAR away
from the Internet.  However, the Windows environment has gotten so entangled
with the Internet that even this would be a bit difficult.  I would like to
think that Microsoft would come up with a Windows ST (for "Sherman Tank"),
but this is only a dream.

So what do we all do?  <sigh>

Are you upgrading your machine, or just the operating system?  Almost new
machine you get will come preloaded with XP.  Dell also sells some business
systems with OSs of your choice.  If you have your own OS on a CD, you might
consider getting a system with FreeDOS and then installing whatever you
have.  You can also get systems with RedHat Linux preinstalled.  I recently
ordered a Dell with XP/SP2 preinstalled.  This was necessary in order to get
the higher performance hardware, which was not available with other OSes.
My intent was to install Win2000 Pro, which is on my other machines.
Technically, this would be a downgrade, but it's really more of a lateral
move.  Even so, XP wouldn't let me do it!  I couldn't do a direct install.
I couldn't reformat.  I couldn't repartition.  I couldn't do anything useful
from the XP startup disk.  Nuthin!  Of course there's a way, and I actually
found it previously on another computer -- but forget what I did.  Anyway,
XP is a pretty Stalinist control-freak sort of OS.  Rather than to fight it,
I decided to become assimilated.  It's not a bad OS, really.  I just would
have preferred operating from Win2000 Pro, but it's doing fine.

If you're going to buy an OS (i.e. a CD from your local computer software
retailer), you should be aware that XP can only be installed on ONE computer
at a time.  XP is very smart and profiles your computer.  Your
installation/access key that Microsoft gives you over the phone is
hardware-specific.  Change the hardware, and you'll need to phone in for a
new key.  Try installing XP on two machines, and Microsoft will likely
figure it out.  Of course you could have two machines configured with
EXACTLY the same hardware.  By contrast, Win2000 is the latest (and probably
last) OS that can be installed on multiple machines of any configuration.

Contrary to my expectations, WinXP gets along just fine on a network with
Win2000, and it can actually be configured to be a relatively serious
operating environment -- not the cutesie environment from out of the box.
Overall, I don't see any real benefit over 2000, though.  They're both based
on NT4, just with different user interfaces.  XP is rumored to be more
stable than 2000, but to my eyes, they crash about the same.

I hope some of this info is useful to someone...

Peace,
Sarah

PS Cy, I think SP's firewall can be disabled.  I configured my system to run
with Black Ice, and I have no difficulty with file sharing between
computers.

PPS Y'all, if you buy a Dell, DO NOT deal with their home computers
division.  Deal with the business computers section.  The folks in business
sell the same hardware and more.  Moreover, they know something about
computers.  The home folks know little/nothing, their department is a mess,
and when they screw up your order, you'll go through hell trying to get it
straightened out, becuase nobody does what he/she says he/she will do (like
cancel an order), and nobody takes responsibility.  DAMHIK!