damper problem (probably just stupidity on my part)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 07:27:09 -0500

Looks like you've gotten some good responses so far Tom. Others have =
pointed to spring tension, backscale ringing, and poor original damper =
design.

I would expand on the spring tension comments. Often not only is spring =
tension weak, the metal spring is also corroded - so there is no way of =
ever getting proper pressure from it - it would have to be replaced.

The other thing is flange center friction. If it is too tight, you'll =
never get good damping.

All these things should be discussed with the piano owner prior to =
replacing dampers on a piano (especially an older vertical). First I =
evaluate damper travel and apparent spring pressure. If those seem OK, I =
then warn them that felt replacement should help, but no guarantees =
without completely rebuilding the damper system - and yes, that would be =
many, many more bucks!

And FWIW, I have done the Spurlock vertical damper redesign thing a =
number of times with excellent results. And for whatever reason, I enjoy =
making dampers - for anyone that doesn't like making their own, I am =
happy to make a set for anyone to your specifications.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20