plastic keytop glue

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:00:12 -0600

http://www.mannapages.com/dlbullock to learn how to get the right fuel.
Also www.glycoscience.org <http://www.glycoscience.org/>

-----Original Message-----
From: Clyde Hollinger [mailto:cedel@supernet.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 4:52 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: plastic keytop glue

Friends,

I hope you can help me with this problem.

I service on old upright piano for which a previous technician installed
new plastic keytops, probably a couple decades ago.  They keep coming
off; nearly every one has come off at least once.  I used to use
Dryburgh superglue, but they began coming off again, so I switched to
Weldwood contact cement, and that nearly always does okay for me, but
not on this piano.  This has been a chronic problem for years.

Do you have a never-fail suggestion for some other glue?  I'll be seeing
this piano again the end of next week.  Preferably something that sets
up soon enough so I can do the repair, then tune the piano, or the other
way around, and that's locally available.  I like to stay away from
glues so dark that they show through the plastic.

It's been a while since I've been on this list.  I'm doing well and hope
you are the same.  I'm swamped with piano work, like probably everyone
else this time of year.

Merry Christmas,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA