Back again

Thu, 02 Dec 2004 18:41:19 +0100

Jack Houweling wrote:

>Welcome back Richard,
>
>I am interested in going to Japan in the future to take the same course.
>
>Sounds like you had a good time, hope you could tell us about it . Did you
>learn any trade secrets.
>
>Jack Houweling

Hey there Jack.  I'd recommend the Hamamatsu school to anyone,
regardless of your particular level of expertise. They will definatly
press you do work better and faster regardless of how much you know from
the get go. I'm going to write a bit more about the school in a later
post so I'll leave it there for now.  Trade secrets ??... grin..
just     asked the usual questions about some of the more controversial
items that come up here from time to time, and I've posted on that in
the past.

One quick note tho... for home pianos the Japanese voice very very soft.
The idea that they like the light and bright sound is just not true at
all. They voice nearly to the point of becoming mushy.  And, for the
cheaper models they use very hard hammers that need very much needling
work to get the elasticity up.  The Yamaha folks are very much against
the use of laquer or softening agents. Indeed, they rather scoff at the
use of such.  That said, Watanabe Piano Supply Co. states that they sell
significant quantities of both hardning agents and softening agents to
domestic technicians. Still, the voicing instructors can very quickly
acheive just about any kind of a voice without more then a needling
tool, some emory cloth, and a string pull. Impressive.  Interesting to
note that they took such a traditional standpoint to the whole question tho.

More later

Cheers
RicB