Pitch Raising Techniques

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 13:42:09 EST

 , Richard writes:

<< btw... my recent experiences in Japan has led me to conclude that the

one hour wonder pitch raise and "fine tuning" is a suspect concept at

best. :) >>

Hmm,  I dunno.  There is no right or wrong way to fine tune a piano, at
pitch, that is say 15 cents flat in places.  There are, however, many of us that
have found ways that work, for us.  Here's mine.
   If the piano is more than 4 cents off standard, and I have to meet
broadcast quality,(which is mainly the unisons and octaves),  I invest the first 15
minutes,(12 if I really have to meet a deadline), in getting the piano within 4
cents of 440.  This is most easily done by using the standard SAT calculator.
 HOwever, I take my readings from 7 notes or so, ABOVE where I am tuning.
  The reason for this is that seldom do I find a piano that is the same
amount flat across the whole keyboard, and since the drop is due to continually
adding tension above, I want to stop overpulling so much before I get to the
section that is not so flat.
   There is a simple hammer technique that leaves string/pins very stable. It
is just not very accurate in placing the pitch. I pull the pin well sharp,
enough so that I will be certainly moving the pin as I then drop it flat. I go
until the pitch is just a little flat, relax the hammer, and give a very slight
sharpening flex to the pin. These amounts depend on how tight the block is,
and how much friction there is in the upper bearing points.
This technique is a little sloppy on pitch placement, but leaves a string
that will not move under any blow that I hit it with.
    On the second pass, if by chance a string is exactly where it should be,
I simply wiggle the pin with the hammer to assure myself that it isn't poised
on the edge of balance, and if the note doesn't change, that is a freebie.
    I have had the SAT III leave a piano within 2 cents of 440 after a  15
minute, 20 cent pitch raise doing this, and after that, it is not difficult to
fine tune it in an hour.  There are exceptions, of course, but I don't see many
problems getting the major work done in a flash, then taking whatever time I
like to fine tune.  Usually I don't see more than 15% of the strings as
freebies, though.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT