Heavily played newish Mason gets "strident" too quickly...

Wed, 01 Dec 2004 21:20:10 +0100

I'd say off hand that the hammers have not had enough deep needling. Its
a common enough problem. A lot of aspirant voicers seem to shy from more
then a little deep needling and try and get a soft sound by shallow
needling up around the crown area alone. This typically results in a
hammer that doesnt yeild a lot of that fundemental sustain to the tone
to begin with, and hardens quickly with use as well.

I had this exact problem in my own early experiences with voicing the
traditional way. Now I use a 6.5 - 7 mm needle depth all the way up to
around 1 mm behind the back of the crown area and up to about 2 mm in
front of it. The entire shoulder area below on both sides need to be
fairly uniformly needled. The softest part of the hammer ends up being
the lower shoulder, gradually getting harder towards the crown. The
shoulders acting like a kind of springy cushion for the harder crown
area to use as a kind of shock absorber. If this is made soft enough,
the voicing will last quite a long time. Course if you make them too
soft then you just loose all your power and the sound gets too foggy so
one has to be reasonably carefull.

Cheers
RicB