Pitch Raising Techniques

Hazen Bannister hazen@bannisterpiano.com
Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:48:51 -0500

Hi
 Using an Accutuner, I will pitch raise up to 100 cents, and get it
within tuning tolerance in one pass. It will almost always be less than
10 cents flat, and usually around  4-6 cents.  There is hardly ever a
broken string, and have been doing it for years. I set the accutuner to
A4, and check the pitch around octave A2. I will go through several
notes getting an average, and will usually set the machine 8 cents sharp
( above standard pitch ), on a half step raise. As I get into the
treble, the faster the lights start spinning flat, the more I equally
spin them sharp. This way there's no resetting at all. I have been doing
it this way for years, as the gentleman I apprenticed under taught me
this way. It is very easy once you get the hang of it.
Best,
Hazen Bannister