Pitch Raising Techniques

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Wed, 01 Dec 2004 20:28:10 -0800

<<So you don't do as Al suggests? Tuning all 3 strings as you go from A0 to
C88?
Why? And why don't you use the PR function in the SAT III instead of
measuring 25%,
33%, etc? Just curious.>>

I DO indeed use the PR Function; The Sat lll allows you to choose TWO PR
overpull options. I use them as stated in my original post. And the SAT lll
manual does not "require"  that you tune unisons as you go; You can either
tune center strings first, or tune ALL three as you go. I simply prefer my
method and it works beautiful for me. As previously stated, there's more
than ONE way to tune a piano, and achieve the same excellemnt result.

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: Avery Todd &lt;avery@ev1.net&gt;
To: Pianotech &lt;pianotech@ptg.org&gt;
Subject: Re: Pitch Raising Techniques
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 20:44:04 -0600

Terry,

So you don't do as Al suggests? Tuning all 3 strings as you go from A0 to
C88?
Why? And why don't you use the PR function in the SAT III instead of
measuring 25%,
33%, etc? Just curious.

Avery

&gt;I use my SAT lll to calculate overpull, usually none in bass, then
&gt;25% in mid and 33% in treble, tuning only center strings as I go.
&gt;Terry Peterson
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;----Original Message Follows----
&gt;From: &amp;quot;Joe Garrett&amp;quot;
&amp;lt;joegarrett@earthlink.net&amp;gt;
&gt;Reply-To: Pianotech &amp;lt;pianotech@ptg.org&amp;gt;
&gt;To: &amp;quot;pianotech&amp;quot; &amp;lt;pianotech@ptg.org&amp;gt;
&gt;Subject: Re: Pitch Raising Techniques
&gt;Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 07:48:11 -0800
&gt;
&gt;David Love said: &amp;quot;15% overpull in the bass, 25% in the
&gt;midrange, 32% in the upper range.
&gt;On small spinets, reduce the numbers by 5% each.   Do unisons as you
&gt;go.&amp;quot;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;David,
&gt;I must take exception to this technique! Although, it will work most
&gt;of the time on most Olde Uprights and Grands, there is always the
&gt;exception. This technique is archaic, to say the least. There are
&gt;better ways. The 32% in the upper treble will most likely get
&gt;someone in a world of hurt! Most strings, in that area, are already
&gt;at/above 50% of their breaking strength!!! You raise it another 32%
&gt;and strings will break, IMO. I've done some studying on the subject
&gt;and wrote an article for the PTJ, in Dec. 1999.
&gt;Regards,
&gt;Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
&gt;Captain, Tool Police
&gt;Squares R I