Perfect Pitch discussion

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 18:26:53 -0500

Hi Phil,

When I played the bflat trumpet in school I eventually was able to
"hear" any given note and a step down from it as the same note name.
The bflat recognition seemed to be subordinate, and I learned to
control it better as time went on, but sometimes I would get confused.
I haven't played the trumpet in over 10 years now and it is shifted
well into the background, but I suspect if I played the trumpet again
it would come back.

Over the years I have come to see pitch recognition (though I prefer
the term absolute pitch) as "as flexible as the person has caused it to
be".

- John