Heavily played newish Mason gets "strident" too quickly...

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Fri, 03 Dec 2004 00:23:30 -0800

> David,
>
> I'd like an explanation on how to file Renner Blue hammers?
Well...you file 'em just like you file any other hammer: carefully and
evenly, taking the flat spot out, restoring the ovoid shape, leaving a
2mm-long trace of the string cuts on the strike point.

> Voicing the
> hammer is certainly possible it is the stability of the voicing that is the
> issue.
With respect, not to me.  I have many sets of Renner Blues in high constant
use situations and they hold a voicing beautifully.  As Ric Brekne said in
another post, if you don't use long needles and go deep into the hammer
very, very close to the "forbidden zone," you won't get stable, long-lasting
results.
Faint heart ne'er won fair maiden, but get a mentor before you go tearin'
somethin' up.
My offer of explaining verbally how I deep needle voice near the strike
point, almost like acupuncture, is still good.

> David I.
David A.