Stuart Piano

Fri, 03 Dec 2004 19:31:34 +0100

Hi folks

I just had the joy of listening to Beethovens "Emperor" Piano Concerto
no. 5 with pianist Gerard Williams playing the Stuart and Sons concert
grand. I've been an enthusiast of this piano since first hearing
recordings of it. This recording with the Sinfonia Australis
accompanying, is the most impressive yet. The Stuart piano  has a
fabulous, unique and  distinctive sound that no other piano has managed
to yield. Every time I hear the Stuart I am reminded of the forte's of
old. Yet while that forte characteristic is clearly preserved, it is
refined and empowered in a way that leaves me nearly breathless.  Where
Steinway took off in its now well know direction some 120 years ago,
Stuart seems to sidestep and jump right through time to the present,
crafting an instrument with all the refinement the past 100 years or so
of piano evolution allows for, yet preserving all the colourings of mid
19th century piano sound that Steinway sacrificed.  Here are 4 clearly
defined registers which readily lend themselves to wonderful contrasts,
yet  transitions between them are smooth, flowing, nearly seductive. I
was amazed at the power the instrument had. This being a point I've
heard some concerns about from some of those I know who have had first
hand experience with the Stuart. The first movement of the concerto
demands much from a piano in the way of power and projection. The Stuart
sound seethed through the accompanying symphony  with all that
incredible sustain and clarity I have come to expect from the Stuart
with no hint of break up whatsoever.

I have to thank Ms Katie Stuart for so kindly including me on the Stuart
and Sons mailing list for these releases. And I'd once again like to
encourage one and all to go well out of there way to familiarize
themselves with this wonderful and delightfully different instrument.
The past 100 plus years has seen precious change in the sound of the
piano. Innovations have primarily concerned themselves with issues that
have not significantly changed that sound at all. Here is a bold
innovation, one that challenges the status quo of piano sound, and does
so with such style and elegance that it deserves, if not demands, out
attention.

Thats my view at least, for what its worth.

Cheers
Ric B