replacement knuckles

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Fri, 03 Dec 2004 19:44:24 -0500

One could mic the breadth of the knuckles and group them accordingly
but probably the main objective would be to press them into the slots
with a caul to aspire to more consistent results (jpg attch'd).
Then a further measurement of knuckle height could refine the shank groupings.

On a new set of shanks, I sort first by shank SW sorting those to
sub-groups of knuckle height.

The knuckle_caul.jpg which is attached is the first prototype, made from
mahogany. Consistent results were not achieved because the wood compressed
as the procedure progressed. My next one would be made from HMD plastic.
One machined of metal would be cost prohibitive for my purposes.
Here's a tool waiting to be produced... Joe, ... Bill, ... anyone...

I have used the caul to compress the knuckle to conform to a tolerance
but have not followed up on measuring after a few years.

I maintain a .010"/.25mm window of tolerance for knuckle height with the bulk
in-the-middle (say ~.640") and hi's (.645") & lo's (.635") off to their
respective sides.
(Shank height does not vary enough to be a consideration).

By grouping the knuckle heights, a smoother regulation is attained; one
item evident of this
is a straighter let-off button alignment.

Just one of the plethora of hair-splitting, nit-picking details which
consumes our work hours.

I'm tired just thinking about it.

Regards,

Jon Page, piano technician