Dampp Chaser and Drills

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 04:20:57 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Todd" <toddpianoworks@yahoo.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 7:57 PM
Subject: Dampp Chaser and Drills

> Just a quickie...
>
> When you install the dampp-chaser systems, do y'all just bust out an
> electric drill in front of the customer and begin?  Does the customer ever
> question, or get irate, when ya start drilling in their piano??  Or do you
> not use a drill?
>
> Matthew
 .yahoo.com

    Use a screw starter (it's silent and doesn't make sawdust).   I got mine
from Dampp-Chaser years ago.  It works great, even in the hardwood of piano
beams.  The part, or tool number is/was SS .  I don't know if they still
offer them.  If not, I suppose you could get one of those very sharp
self-tapping sheet metal screws used for heating and air-conditioning duct
work (the sharp point punctures the metal), and cut the head off (or not)
and epoxy the screw into a wood handle.
    They also offer(ed?) a magnetic hex driver (part/tool number HEX), which
helps to keep from losing screws in the carpet.
    If they express concern about the screw holes, I just tell them they're
all underneath, not visible, small, shallow, don't hurt anything, can always
be filled with putty, etc.
    I might use a drill here or there, but mostly the screw starter.
    --David Nereson, RPT