endorsed by the Philadelphia Orchestra????

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 04:32:09 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <Tvak@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 4:34 PM
Subject: endorsed by the Philadelphia Orchestra????

> List
>
> I've tuned many a Lester in my short career.   Too many, I'd have to say.
> Today, there I was, sitting once again at a Lester, banging on those
> waterfall
> keys, attempting to make it sound like a piano when I looked up, and on
> the
> underside of the lid was a decal which stated, "Endorsed by the
> Philadelphia
> Symphony Orchestra".
>
> Whaaa?

    At one time, the larger Lester grands were quite nice pianos, and the
Phila. Symphony Orch. did indeed endorse them.  The Betsy Ross spinet came
much later (1930's).  Any and all awards ever won by piano companies often
ended up on a decal somewhere, and some companies still use those decals and
advertise those awards (Kimball), even if the last one was from the World's
Columbian Exposition of 1893!
    --David Nereson RPT