mystery center pinning

Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:29:39 +0100

Hi Barbara

As I understand it, they are useing some form of teflon in the bushings,
which I am all for. Their idea is that this allows for the same degree of
firmness for less friction. Fine enough as far as it goes, but personally I
would opt for the same amount of friction for increased firmness... altso..
the opposite way around.

I have two reasons for this. Number one, I dont particularilly like the way
the action plays with very low friction levels in hammer shank centers.
Number two, my experience tells me that the firmer the centers hold the
hammers the better, You get more solid and more consistant tone development,
especially for fortisimo levels.

But to your predicament...  Not knowing exactly what bushing cloth, and
whatever teflon is applied its difficult to advise. But my own use of teflon
powder in bushing tells me you can burnish rather agressively and pin quite
tight to the feel. A few swings will loosen up pretty quickly. I typically
get maybe a tight 3 swings before cutting and filing the pin flat. Then
working the center a few times by swinging the hammer usually puts me where
I want to be.... 4-6 swings.

I'd be interested in hearing where you wind up on this problem tho... so
keep posting :)

Cheers
RicB