Weber action self-destruction

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 14:24:09 -0600

List,

Tuned a Weber WG-50 yesterday, ca. 1992, which appears to be developing growing action bracket syndrome.  Several notes starting to block, and the end brackets are very tight in the little pocket that locate them fore-and-aft in the keyframe.

Also had a jack fail during tuning - that finger joint where the tender is attached came apart after a hard test blow.  It appeared to have very little glue on it.  I understand that if a note is just barely blocking, and you give it a good hard test blow, that could put a lot of strain on the tender and might cause a healthy one to fail.  but I also have a vague recollection of hearing that a certain Asian manufacturer had a problem with starved glue joints in this area.  So, what do you think?  When I approach Weber for the new bracket job, should I also go for breaking and regluing all the jack tender glue joints?  Or is it a good bet that, once properly regulated, the jacks will survive as is?

thanks

Mike

Michael Spalding
spalding48@earthlink.net