Pulling Plates

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Wed, 08 Dec 2004 03:40:25 -0400

They are not that expensive, either.
Andre Bolduc used one in a class he gave, where him and his son replaced a pinblock.
I think they did it in 2 hours. Of course a lot of pre work had been done.
It might have been 4 hours.
The memory is not as it was. :-)

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Joe Garrett
  To: pianotech
  Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 3:24 AM
  Subject: Re: Pulling Plates

  R.Cromwell said: "While I am familiar with using a hoist attached to steel rafters as one
  method of removing a plate from a grand piano, has anyone tried using an
  engine crane to achieve the same goal?  Is it feasible or am I crazy - or
  both?

  Gazing doubtfully at a poorly supported ancient wooden rafter,"

  R.C.,
  I've used a "cherry picker", (the collapsible type), a couple of times, when doing work in another techs shop that didn't have a winch, etc. Worked just fine. They can be rented and are not that difficult to use/set up.
  Best Regards,
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I