1865 Style 2 S&S

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 08 Dec 2004 06:54:17 -0600

>I think it's different because of the age/plate/tension factor. in 1865,
>tensions weren't what they are today. My thinking is the plate would have
>to be reinforced to support today's tensions. I also service a 9' Style2,
>and the plate in that piano was re manufactured because it was cracked.

I don't think you'd want modern tensions on that plate, even if you thought
up some way to reinforce it. Re-scaling will smooth and balance without
overloading the plate, and a new soundboard and bridges built for that
scale should produce a pretty nice piano. Sounds like fun.

The pinblock ought to be fun too.

Ron N