Peterson Auto-strobe 490ST

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:04:39 -0700

Hi Mark,
I started piano tuning using one of these to check my work.  I have since
switched to the Verituner VT100.  BTW I'd beat that price and include the
carry case and foot pedal.  I was disappointed that the Verituner is
significantly slower to respond to note changes.  But then the VT is doing
much more.  Analog machines are generally faster than digital ones but they
are much harder to program.
Tuning with one of these requires you to really listen and judge what you
are doing, unlike the fancy ones, you can't get lazy.  The tuner does not
know what kind of stretch is appropriate for that little monster sitting in
front of you.  You select stretch templates described by piano type and
size.  Then you listen to your intervals (esp. the first time) and augment
(+ button) or select another template that better fits.  I then recorded
what I did, how much I augmented etc. in my copy of the tuning record so
that I could get right to it the next time.
Pitch raising? measure how low it is for that section and set the tuner for
the per-centage overpull you want in that section and tune away to the next
one.    If there is very little tone coming through extreme treble or the
extreme bass on little monsters, the strobe pattern can get really fuzzy
and hard to read.  Here the VT excels in pulling out enough to work
with.  The VT is also much more sensitive (adjustably so) to slight changes
in note position, making it harder to satisfy and better at matching two
unison strings (if you're patient enough to wait for it; really, the
wet-ware is faster ;-) ).
Oh, and some other things: you will need to carry an extension cord and it
doesn't fit will on the top of spinets.

Good luck,
Andrew A.