Pulling Plates

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:40:13 -0800 (PST)

The concert grand plate I pulled at the refinisher's
was done using 3 of the regular 1,500 pound-test
ratchet straps of the type available at Lowe's or Home
Depot.  Clicking the ratchet allows very precise
incremental leveling, and further padding can be
placed where they wrap around the plate, if desired.
If you are worried about paint disturbance, I'd line
this padding with scraps of Naugahyde (TM). The straps
were formed into 3 loops, in a tripod arrangement
connecting them to the hook on the engine puller, so
that no hooks touched the plate anywhere. Three 1,500
pound straps on a  600 pound plate is overkill, but
scary nonetheless. That's why I'd use the fatter,
thicker version ( available at Wal-mart in automotive
) for big plates in the future. The ratchet would also
be easier to operate because the handle is larger. (
More leverage. )
WARNING! Some unscrupulous hardware stores sell
"cheapo" ratchet strap "clones" which would might nit
lift a fat kitten without breaking
( thun metal on ratcheting mechanism ) DAMHIK.
     Thump

     Thump