1865 Style 2 S&S

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 22:44:59 EST

=20
Hi Stephane.=20
   Makes sense.     I believe that piano wire, since it's development  has=20
had differing amounts of carbon content which could effect tone &  longevity=
.=20
Also It's my contention that both plain wire & copper that was  used as a wr=
ap=20
combined with very skilled technicians made way better bass  strings than mo=
st=20
made today. Can't prove it but others have thought so as  well.
  Just look/listen to/at some sets of early 1900 original  sets of Stwy/othe=
r=20
 strings that still have 90% of the tonal integrity.  Pretty amazing when I=20
consider how many string sets I replace in more modern  pianos after only 30=
 to=20
40 years, especially bass strings.
 BTW, tension is tension the way understand  it.
    Dale

Don't  know for Steinway, but heard that tests done on strings of a 1864 =20
Bechstein belonging once to Richard Wagner showed that the steel used for =20
strings had similar properties as modern R=F6slau wire.  1864 is a time  aft=
er=20
the industrialization of the process of making steel, and piano  makers were=
=20
very quick to adopt the new material.

St=E9phane  Collin

=20