Sunday Thoughts

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 10:44:48 -0800

Hey my colleagues------

Just thought I=B9d share a little from the last week.  I have a client, Don
Beamsley, who has been a well-known and successful jazz player in SoCal
forever; he=B9s played with every big band around, from Tommy Dorsey, Horace
Heidt, Glenn Miller, Tex Beneke----the list is endless; he was even the LA
Dodger organist for a while in the 60=B9s and 70=B9s.

So=8Bhe=B9s got a sweet Steinway B that he was given by his mentor, a 1930
instrument. It was maintained throughout its life by mostly 2 legendary
techs---first Cecil Short, the =B3man=B2 in the Pomona Valley for many years,a
nd then by Norman Neblett, an LA denizen and Golden Hammer recipient.  I=B9ve
been maintaining the piano for the last 18 years.

Anyway, you know the story---I=B9ve been nagging this guy for years to do the
work:  the piano=B9s got all original parts and strings, and he=B9s always used
the traditional procrastinating musician=B9s excuses: =B3 I just can=B9t pull the
trigger now, DA---I can=B9t be sure if I=B9ll work this strong next year, my
wife=B9s gig stopped this year, I need a new roof---=B2whatever. I=B9m a life-lon=
musician; I=B9ve used them all.

He is so sweet, and so funny, and such a monstrously beautiful player, and
I=B9m such a soft touch in a certain way, that I made it no problem, and just
kept bringing the damn Protek ( the verdigris was out of control on this
pig).

To make a long, long story very short, Don now has Class 3 Parkinson=B9s
Disease, has for 2 years, has lost 90 pounds, and his prognosis is delicate=
,
to put it mildly.  But he still rolls himself up to the piano and plays for
an hour or so every day.

So a month ago I took his wife in the other room and just said now=B9s the
time, sweetie, for the bullshit to cease and for us to do something.
So---because her cash flow at this point is questionable, we opted for the
battlefield triage:
--Rebuilt keyframe: key bushing, underfelt, backchecks and wires, clean and
polish rail pins and captstans and glides, raise height and level keys
--repinned shanks, =B3smoked-out=B2 whippen flanges
--new knuckles
--rebuilt pedals and pedal mod
--hammers filed (very difficult and dicey)
--lift, level, seat strings
--COMPLETE action regulation
--RP and tune

THANKS SO MUCH, MICHAEL CAMPI.  You did a great job on the keyframe, pedals=
,
knuckles and shanks.

When I FINALLY got the damn thing playing =B3right---=B2 and that took almost 2
full days---
Don rolled up and started playing; we were both crying.  He loved it; he
called me =B3a friggin=B9 genius.=B2

This is what I work for; this is what I live for; I did the work at about
65% of what I would ordinarily charge;
The money is NOT the payoff.

To bring love and happiness to music lovers, music players, human beings
with sweet hearts and beautiful intentions:  this is what this work is all
about.  I=B9m feeling good.

My love and respect to all.....
David Andersen