New-ish Chickering Origins

Dave Davis dave@davispiano.com
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:53:37 -0800 (PST)

Allan,
Thanks for the info. Still wishing the serial number made some sense, but knowing some history is good enough for now.

Ric, while I agree with your sentiment, these folks didn't know the difference between Chickering and Oldsmobile. At purchase time, the wife liked the walnut case with the shiny poly coating. Now that she's learning to play, she'd like it to sound like a piano.

 And that's something I do *very* well. :-)

Take care,
Dave Davis

Allan Gilreath <agilreath@mindspring.com> wrote:

Dave,

If this piano was purchased used in ’98 and appears to be Asian in origin, it’s probably one of the Chickerings built in the late Aeolian times by Samick. There weren’t too many of these and this was shortly before the Chickering name was purchased by Wurlitzer which then produced a number of Chickerings based on the 43” and 54” Wurly scales. After Wurlitzer was purchased by Baldwin, the Baldwin “Classic” models B1 & C were reincarnated as Chickering 410s and 507s respectively.

Hopefully this helps you a little.

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT