installing damper guide rail

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 23:09:44 EST

List

I'm happy to report that I am once again working for the local Steinway
dealer in their rebuilding shop.   It's a great learning experience, and a great
opportunity to work on some VERY nice pianos.   And they pay me.

I have been asked to re- install the damper guide rail on a S&S B that has
had the board replaced.   In other words, there are no screw holes to position
the rail.   The other tech at the shop told me to put all the old dampers in
the holes in the guide rail and insert the damper wires into their damper blocks
in order to line up the rail properly.   Then drill right through the holes
in the rail into the board, making sure that the front edge of the rail is even
with the edge of the board.

OK.   I understand this and can do this, and certainly it seems like it would
work.   But being basically lazy, I wonder if there is an easier method.
Any advice out there?

Tom Sivak
Chicago PTG Associate