Subject: Helps with "bad" tuning

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:45:30 -0800

<<My secretary always explains to new customers>>

Would that be your wife, or did you actually "hire" a secretary to help out
with scheduling,  books, etc? Did you advertise in the local paper? What
kind of piano training (if any) did she receive in order to converse with
clients/potential clients (mostly on the phone) about pianos, especially if
she has to answer questions relating to tunings, repairs, etc.? Seems it
wouldn't be very helpful if she had to constantly say: "I don't know, you'll
have to ask Mr. May". Just curious, because I've been seriously considering
hiring one for my business as well!

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: &quot;Dean May&quot; &lt;deanmay@pianorebuilders.com&gt;
To: &quot;Pianotech&quot; &lt;pianotech@ptg.org&gt;
Subject: RE: Subject: Help with &quot;bad&quot; tuning...need help
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:52:57 -0500

I thought I was wrong once, but I made a mistake.

Seriously, I find I don’t have these kinds of problems after 25 years of
doing this, so it must have something to do with experience and confidence.
But there are definitely things you can do.

First, maybe you should raise your rates. When you work for cheap, you get
clients who are cheap and hard to please.

Next, head off trouble at the pass when you are scheduling the appointment.
My secretary always explains to new customers that if the piano is real bad
and it has been awhile since it has been tuned, it might be up to double my
normal tuning rate. So when I get to the home and start working on the
piano, I don’t even talk about price. It has already been discussed so there
are no surprises when it comes time to collect the money and no problems,
either. Sometimes she forgets and when she does I frequently get punished.
Then I re-emphasize the importance of this step to her and no more problems.
So I know this step works well.

You really should get RCT for pitch raises. The extra money you charge for
the PR will quickly pay for it and it does provide the quickest and most
stable PR tuning. And rarely do I break strings, maybe one every 4-6 months.

When I leave I after a PR I always say, “Now this tuning is not going to be
as stable as a normal tuning. When pianos get this bad it is impossible to
put a stable tuning on it- that is why it is so important to keep a piano
tuned regularly. It really should be retuned within 6 months, but you might
want it done in 3 to 4 months, maybe even sooner. Let your ear be your
guide.” If you had said something like that to your customer you would be
set.

A big part of your problem is your uncertainty about if it is the piano’s
problem or if you are just a bad tuner. Been there, done that. And that
uncertainty is somehow magically communicated to the customer. If you use
RCT you can be confident that you are using an industry wide accepted
standard of the one of the best ways to do a PR.

Merry Christmas,

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272