high to go over pitch

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:57:25 -0500

Something less than that tension that will cause them to break. There is =
no exact answer for you. Some will break while still flat, and some will =
go a couple hundred cents sharp before breaking. Another concern is =
causing permanent stretch-damage to the string. Don't know where that =
might start. A lot of that will depend on the scaling itself - which is =
going to vary widely among pianos.

I try to not go more than 25 cents - although I have overpulled 40 cents =
or so on occasion.

Terry Farrell

  how many cents above zero is safe to pull the bass strings up, when =
doing a pitch raise.

  pp