Cents: was help with bad tuning...Ric B. Eastern Scale?

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:30:32 +0100

Hello Ric.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>

> Grin.... Sorry, that should read 7 in all.  Made the same mistake as Don
> did with his 1300 cents.
>
> 6 steps doesnt finish the octave. 6 Different notes yes... but 7 to
> complete the octave

I don't know what is a step.  From your posts, I guess it is the interval
between two adjacent notes in a diatonic scale.  From other posts, I guess
it is equal to two half steps, one half step being equal to one semi-tone.
Sure, both suspected definitions don't match one with the other, because, as
Dave said, the interval between two adjacent notes in a diatonic (may I add
heptaphonic ?) scale is not necessarily equal to two semi-tones.
So, in our westernly standard scale figured by the white keys of a piano
(which is, when played from C to B, a so called major scale, or ionian
mode), there are 7 different notes (which figure 7 particular sounds with
each a different pitch, knowing that all pitches who have their frequencies
in a ratio of positive or negative powers of 2 bear the same note name) (by
the way, did I understand these are your steps ?), defined by the very ratio
of their frequency and that of a reference note giving it's name to part of
the scale name.  The choice of those ratios, who uniquely defines the very
scale, proves to be purely cultural, and in reasoned nomenclature gives the
other part of the scale name.  Only in equally tempered scales do those
ratios coincide with some whole multiples of the twelfth root of two,
because historically our western culture found convenient to theoretically
divide the octave (the interval between two pitches whose frequencies ratio
is 2) in 12 (logarithmically) equal intervals (this was a result of building
the same scale on different notes of the first reference one, and trying to
make them all fit together).  This value (without unit) twelfth root of two
is what we should call an equally tempered semi-tone (as other differently
tempered semi-tones occur in other places).  The pattern of intervals
(expressed in semi-tones) which defines the western standard major scale is
: 2,4,5,7,9,11 (this means, D is 2 semi-tones away from C, the reference ; E
is 4 semi-tones away from C, F is 5 semi-tones away from C, etc.).  You can
also say, like Dave did, that D is a whole tone (2 semi-tones) away from C,
and E is a whole tone from D, and F is a semi-tone from E, and G a whole
tone from F.  Note that 6 intervals define 7 notes (hence the 6-7
confusion).  Note again that two notes which form an octave bear the same
note name, and that 7 (not 8) notes define our standard scale (hence the 7-8
confusion).  The process of building a similar scale (that is, replicating
the same pattern of intervals) on all the notes of the reference scale lead
to use some pitches which are not in the original reference scale.  But
because of the convenient division of the octave in 12 equal semi-tones and
because of the artificially simplified pattern of intervals in the standard
major scale, all notes generated by this process happen to share only 12
different pitches.  Again, this is only true thanks to the simplification,
unique to the western music of the second half of the second millenium.  But
this leads to another confusion about the term "note" , which was uptill now
one of the 7 possible pitches in a standard scale.  We use to call note any
of the 12 pitches possible in an octave, regardless to their meaning in a
particular scale.  Even more, we sometimes distinguish between two pitches
who have their frequencies in a ratio entire multiple of 2 saying they are
different notes (while in a scale, they bear the same note name).  Anyway,
the term cent was more clearly defined as 1/100 of a semi-tone, and, being a
ratio of a ratio between values of the same physical unit (Hertz), it has no
physical unit.

Stéphane Collin