Followup on the bobbling hammers in Yamaha

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:26:02 -0600

At 8:49 AM -0500 12/16/04, Sspeev@aol.com wrote:
>... but what i don't get is how the dampers (springs or
>spoons) would figure in.  Can somebody spell this out for me? ...

Damper springs (with sustain pedal not engaged):
If they are too strong, you will feel it when the damper spoons
contact the damper levers. If they are too weak, the dampers might
not dampen effectively.

Damper springs (with sustain pedal engaged):
Not a factor unless the damper spoons are making contact with the
damper levers prematurely.

Damper spoons (with sustain pedal not engaged):
The spoons should make contact with the damper levers when the
hammers are about half way between the rest position and the strings.

Damper spoons (with sustain pedal engaged):
The damper spoons should not contact the damper levers during the keystroke.

Regulation (adjustments) will need to take place if the above
conditions are not existent.

Keith
--
Keith McGavern