shop tip trivia--trimming shanks

Roy Czekay rczekay@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:11:30 -0800 (PST)

Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:
  Hey guys
  I've tried several ways of trimming the long ends of new shanks. For years I'd clamp a section O shanks in a jaras or spurlock clamp & then cut with a small back saw. The set up got to be tedious recently & frankly the procedure isn't fool proof so I have started using the new pianotek center pin cutters which are nicely made which cut cleanly enough to avoid tear out of any wood that protrudes into the shank hole. What little is left I remove by propping the shanks up on a straight edge, placing the action right out on the edge of my bench & removing the remainder with a 3" by 18 inch belt sander with 120 ish paper. I use just the front roller primarily. It's an easy process & it also cleans up any minor imperfections in hammer tail line. The tails are lightly roughed as well. I don't like tails very  roughened but it seems to help the intial seating of the tail in new check leather.
 It's important to screw the stack down to the bench for safety before sanding so it doesn't flop on the floor. DAMHIK cause I haven't done it Safety first ya know.
 What do other do?
   Merry Christmas
   Dale Erwin
Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt Steinway , Mason &Hamlin Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com

Go to your nearest pet suppy store and pick up a nail clipper for cutting dogs nails. They work real well for trimming hammer shanks.