New Hobart M. Cable

Mike Bratcher MBratPianos@indy.rr.com
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:04:05 -0500

List,

I have recently started working on these new pianos.  The local dealer =
in my area has just started carrying these as an entry level piano.  Of =
course it is a Chinese made instrument.  I haven't actually prepped any =
of these on the floor, but wanted to relay some of my most recent =
experiences.=20

The very first grand I saw was fresh out of the box, and still had the =
action tied down.  I was only walking by this instrument and felt =
compelled to help the dealer out and untie the action to make it =
playable for the next person.  I was not there to work that day, so I =
didn't tune it.  I normally remove the fallboard first.  This was next =
to impossible on this piano.  The installer must have placed the hanger =
pin too close to the stretcher.  That distance was less than the =
thickness of the fall board.  Impossible to remove in the normal =
fashion. =20

I tuned a couple more in customers homes that had been prepped, and they =
weren't too bad.  Actually played pretty well and sounded ok for the =
money.

I tuned my first vertical this week, and again overall I thought it =
played and sounded good.

My second vertical was not so good.  This piano reminded me of the early =
Chinese pianos.  European style (no front legs).  This piano may not =
have been as thoroughly prepped as the others (which is rare for this =
dealer, they are very good about their in store prep).  There were =
probably 2 dozen jack springs tripped out of their holes.  Two hammer =
shanks were unglued, not at the hammer head but at the butt.  Although =
there was gobs of glue on it.  Brittle like hide glue, and light amber =
in color.  Many squeaks at the balance rail bushings. Metal like pedal =
squeaks.  Lots of found motion (they are probably compensating early for =
wear).  Hammers were warping all over.  The other pianos seemed like =
they were burned and traveled better, making for better hammer spacing =
(I'm a stickler for aesthetics).  The rest of the piano was about as =
many would expect.  The thing that really stood out was the jack =
springs.  Why would so many be out?  They are glued in at the bottom, =
but loose at the top.  To be honest,  the jacks still returned fine, but =
I just happened to look down close enough to see.

Just my experience.  Hope I didn't waste anyone's time.

Mike Bratcher