established memory

Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:43:53 +0100

Well, Ken and Terry.... I certainly dont know about the term
<<established memory>> as it really hasnt been described in more then
the most generalized and romantic of fashions, but then on the other
hand I do find that pianos do indeed seem to hold tunings better if they
recieve many tunings and are well maintained  in their first years.  I
often underline the value of giving a piano a <<good start>> to new
piano owners because this seems to be the case.  That said... I have no
hard data to back up this suspicion, and I dont think there is any study
out there which touches on the matter specifically.

Terms like <<Circle of Sound>> and  <<Pitch Memory>> are always fun
ones... because they really are so pictorial that a precise
clarification as too what they really are meant to describe never seems
to be available. So they get ridiculed on the one hand, and supported
with nearly religious fervour on the other hand, with really nothing
inbetween.  Whether or not they actually stem from some real function or
physical reality or not seems impossible to confirm or deny.

Btw Ken.... the Circle of Sound and the Circle of 5ths are to completely
different worlds and have nothing to do with each other.  The Circle of
Sound is a term coined by Steinway and Sons and is supposed to refer to
an acoustic property they believe they build into their pianos and is
used as one of their primary justifications for refusing to use tuning
pin bushings. Great reading can be had on the subject matter in the
archieves.

Cheers
RicB