Measuring center pin resistance

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 08:53:48 -0700

I wanted to make some additional comments about center pin friction.
Rather than try to respond to various posts I thought I would start a
new thread.  Comments below:

     With regard to measuring with a gage vs. measuring with your
finger (or whatever part of your anatomy you choose to measure with)
- the end result is to get an accurate measurement within an
appropriate tolerance that is consistent and repeatable.  If you can
do that with your finger more power to you.  I've been doing this a
fairly long time and feel that my fingers are fairly sensitive.  But
I've repeatedly proven to myself that my fingers are nowhere near as
accurate as a Correx gage.

     Speaking of gages - I'm not talking about one of these $5 leaf
spring gages sold by the supply houses (I assume they still sell
those things).  I'm talking about an accurate gram gage of the
appropriate range, such as a Correx gage.  Such a gage will set you
back $100 (US) or more.

     I can see a difference between checking to see if a jack is
functioning on a console in the field and setting up a performance
piano action on the bench.  In the first case I probably wouldn't
'whip out a gage', but would check with my finger.  But I certainly
don't see anything wrong with using a gage.  In the second case I
would certainly use a gage.

     I think some of the confusion apparent in the recent exchange is
evidence that we haven't developed or put in place the proper words
and/or numbers for unambiguously communicating information about
center pin resistance.  To begin with, I don't believe there is
consensus about what word is used to describe what we're trying to
measure.  Friction, resistance, stiffness, other?  Any votes on which
seems most appropriate?

     The use of a gram number to describe center pin resistance is
incomplete at best, and misleading or simply wrong at worst.  This
harks back to discussions of measuring or describing downbearing.  To
say that a center has 5 grams of resistance is like saying that a
piano has 5 thousands of downbearing.  What does it mean?  Nothing
without further information.  In both cases you have to know the
measuring point for the number to have any meaning.  Describing
downbearing with an angle is unambiguous because it removes the
measuring point from the description.  Describing center resistance
as a torque is unambiguous because it removes the measuring point
from the description.  Perhaps it's time we started using torque to
specify center resistance.  Rather than specify 4 grams 25 mm from
the center pin, why not specify that the resistance should be 100
gram-mm?  This seems more accurate and less subject to confusion
between sender and receiver of the information.

     With regard to the traditional tests that have been mentioned -
the swing test and the 'Steinway test' (I assume that what is meant
by the Steinway test is to tap the shank and see if the flange will
rise) - I did a few measurements on a Steinway flange to give some
perspective to this.  I repinned the flange several times to make it
match the extreme ends of these two traditional tests.  All numbers
below were taken on a old Steinway shank and flange in good condition
(I didn't try this on a new shank and flange, so your mileage may
vary).  All gram measurements were taken with a 2-15 gram Correx gage
at a measuring point on the flange to the side of the screw hole, 23
mm from the center pin.

SWING TEST - depending on your source I've seen anything from 3 to 7
swings specified:

For 3 swings:  7 grams at the measuring point or 161 gram-mm torque.
For 7 swings:  3 grams at the measuring point or  69 gram-mm torque.

STEINWAY TEST - tap hammer shank and see it flange will rise:

    Loosest pinning at which I could get flange to rise:  below the
lowest indicated mark on the gage (somewhat less than 2 grams - for
the sake of argument let's call it 2 grams) at the measuring point or
46 gram-mm torque.

    Tightest pinning at which I could get flange to rise:  8 grams at
the measuring point or
184 gram-mm torque.

RESULT:  The range in torques between minimum that meets one of these
tests and max that meets one of these tests is 46 gram-mm torque and
184 gram-mm torque.  Or in other words, if you had two adjacent
flanges that met these traditional tests you could have a potential
difference of 184 - 46 = 138 gram-mm torque.

To put that number in perspective - for those who do hammer weight or
strike weight smoothing per Stanwood - the tolerance that I work to
when matching strike weights to a curve is 0.1 gram (I don't allow
any individual SW to be more than 0.1 gram different than the number
specified by the curve).  So, max difference in SW between two
adjacent hammers is 0.2 grams.  Typical distance from hammer center
line to hammer center pin is 130 mm.  Variation in torque between two
adjacent flanges caused by variation in SW = 0.2 x 130 = 26 gram-mm.

As you can see, the possible difference in torque between two
adjacent flanges from using traditional tests is more than 5 times
the difference caused by the variation in SW.  In my opinion, if
we're going to go to all the trouble to smooth SWs, and to do the
sorts of things that Jon Page describes, such as sorting shanks by
weight, and knuckles by size, in order to get as smooth a progression
as possible of touch from one end of the keyboard to the other, then
saying - don't bother with a gage, just use the traditional tests -
doesn't make sense.

Phil Ford
San Francisco, CA