Kawai Pin Blocks

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:13:29 -0600

Hello Don,
     One, a KG-2 that I had tuned occasionally for years but which at
that point in time was being maintained by another technician had had a
complete Dampchaser installation - having both the drier and the
humidifier.  I am relying on memory here but am reasonably sure it is
accurate.
     This installation was made in an attempt to correct the very
pronounced instability the piano demonstrated, but which continued,
nevertheless, afterwards.   The piano was in the chapel of a large,
prominent televangelical(sp?) operation.  Notwithstanding these efforts,
the instability was substantial and complaints frequent subsequent for
months after the installation.  After the "fix", the piano is extremely
stable.   This was noted by the technician who referred the piano, the
problem and the customer back to me.
       A pertinent fact, this piano was in an unusual  church situation,
that is, more favorable than customary,  as the temperature in this
extremely large chapel was maintained relatively constant.  I do think,
though, that the ambient moisture fluctuated substantially as crowds
came and went, for what it is worth, and realize that the humidity
control system, after installation, no doubt levelled this out from the
piano's perspective.   The customer had been educated to the importance
of maintaining the water in the tank, and, prior to the "fix", as you
indicate, was monitored  both by myself and  the other technician to
verify availability of water to the humidifier.  Nevertheless, the
problems persisted and were not abated until the alterations were
made.      I am not sure if there were others.  I have seen and tuned
the piano many times since this installation which was, perhaps, six or
seven years ago.
Regards, Robin Hufford