Steinway Agraffes

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 23:03:46 -0600

>    That will be a 7/32" thread.  Be warned,  for some obscure reason, modern
>agraffes of this dimension are not cut to the full .218" thread.  I don't
>know
>why this is so, but last year, I had an impossible time finding a "7/32""
>agraffe that had thread larger than . 212".   This may not seem like much,
>but is
>sufficiently undersized so that the threads will strip if you try to torque
>them as tightly as the ones that came out.  Jon Page saved me with some older
>spares, which I had to use after two new ones stripped.
>Good luck,
>
>Ed Foote RPT

Hi Ed,
This didn't compute at the time, and still doesn't. The threads should be
about 0.020" deep (x2 for the diameter), so I don't see how 0.003" less
thread depth could make a difference. There should still be plenty of
thread overlap unless the plate was screwed up. Did you happen to measure
the inside diameter of the tapped plate holes? They should have been well
under 0.190".

Ron N