Bore lengths

Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:36:25 +0100

Hi folks..

just got through double checking a measurement for borelengths on a
Petrof grand and noticed a rather large discrepancy between on bench
measurements and in piano measurements... and ended up with the
following observation resulting in the accompanying question.

Measuring the distance between strings and keybed, then hammer centers
and keybed yeilded a near 2 mm difference when done on the bench visa vi
done in the piano. At first I thought that well..... its a bit clumsy to
measure in the piano.... so....  But then I got to thinking about
bedding issues and decided to double check very closely in the piano and
came up with very close to the same results.  Obviously in this
particular example, the bedding screws accounted for a quite significant
difference in the height of  hammer centers. This of course is directly
reflected in the bore length one decides on, so its kind of important to
get the darned thing right.

I ususally go about deciding bore length in a different fashion, but
have lately wanted to try out this <<formula based>> method and stumped
on this right off.

So what do you folks do here ?  Go with a bench figure, compensate for
the bedding on the bench, or simply measure in the piano ?  If the
bedding screws are taken into account... do you always make sure of
optimal bedding first ?..

I'd like a bit more detailed description of what you all do in
conjunction with this on the surface simple measurement.

Cheers
RicB