square grand tuning: fun

Bob Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:52:36 -0800 (PST)

Last Friday I received an emergency tuning request for
someone having a Christmas party and using an 1859
Steinway square grand.  The pianist had just come to
try it out and said it was really out of tune.

So, the owners called me and said they would pay
whatever if I would come and tune it before the party.

This was my first square to tune.  It had just been
rebuilt and purchased from another state.  I took my
daughter to play the keys.  That sort of worked.  It's
hard to get someone else to play the keys and
intervals like you want.  The torque on the pins was
off the scale.  I would think 200+, so, very hard to
manipulate.  I hope those will loosen up with
subsequent tunings.   A couple of hammers grazed
strings on adjacent notes and there wasn't time to fix
those.

All in all it was a very difficult job and the results
were not anything I would want another tech to hear.

Bob Hull

--- Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>