Mason&Hamlin --- 50 "

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:43:05 -0600

 Trent wrote:

 > So I guess what I'm driving at is that I've heard some on the list
occasionally dismiss pianos with a lot of problems or compromises,
shortcuts, or economies taken.  I often think there may be someone who
enjoys it for what it is, maybe even hears or knows how to bring out things
that the professional technician can't because he's too distracted by what
it's doing wrong.  And a lot of the time, like in one of these Aeolian-era
M&H's, I think they may be worth working with, within whatever budget the
customer may have, to bring out potential that's been lying dormant for the
pianos entire life so far.>

I agree.  Our assignment, if we choose to accept it, is to help each piano
we encounter to realize its potential.  If an Aeolian-era M&H hasn't been
regulated or voiced since it's creation 30 years ago, it for sure has
unrealized potential.  The improvement was dramatic, and the customer was
grateful.  Of course, this does not alter the fact that many other pianos
might please her more than  that particular instrument.

 Mike